Wednesday 21 March 2018

Trolley 134b

On the bank, in need of a clean. A clean which took a good deal longer than getting the thing out of the stream, even with the scrubbing brush which I had just remembered to take along.

Returned to Sainsbury's Kiln Lane in due course, by way of the Screwfix tunnel. Also by way of Middle Lane where we had an exemplary example of motorist-pedestrian interaction. I was walking the trolley up the middle of Middle Lane, there being a lot too many bumps on the pavement provided for comfort, when this car drew up behind me. He did not honk, he just waited until I noticed that he was there and got out of his way. At which point we both waved in an amicable fashion. I might say, as both a pedestrian and a cyclist, that honking always sounds very loud, apt to startle one into the wrong movement. Far louder, in all probability, than the honker realises.

Moving on, the holdall I use for the trolley recovery equipment carries a tag saying 'Valisa'. I have no idea how it came to be in our roof, but there is reference 1 which does include travel goods, although not this particular bag. I think it must be one of those bags designed by a designer, perhaps a creationist, rather than a traveller, as the handles are so long that the bottom of the bag bumps along the pavement, in a rather irritating way, as you walk. Perhaps it is assumed that people who can afford one of these bags can afford not to walk.

The net result was that I resorted to slinging the thing on a bit of trusty blue rope over my shoulder, necessitating a rare use of the spike on my army knife when I got home to get the rope undone again. Reminding me of that Boy Scout nonsense about stones in horses' hooves; one might have thought that they would know better. See references 2 and 3, with the knife itself just about visible top right in the illustration to the latter.

PS: later: BH seems pretty sure that I bought this bag at a Hook Road car booter, on the grounds that it looked useful.

Reference 1: http://www.valisa.com/.

Reference 2: http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=mole+avon.

Reference 3: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/electrical-diy.html.

Reference 4: https://www.uca.ac.uk/. The creationists.

No comments:

Post a Comment