Wednesday 20 December 2017

Trolley 113

For a change, an M&S food hall trolley with current livery. Rescued from the horse trough end of the Ashley Centre and returned to a crowded M&S food hall at the Wetherspoon's end.

A food hall which actually contained small bags of walnuts for sale, something one does not seem to come across much these days. However, on closer inspection they looked a bit dried up, from Hungary, nothing like as nice looking as the red diamond jobs from California. I shall hold out in the hope of coming across some of them. Maybe a Borough Market thing.

Failing there, I thought to buy an Economist at Smith's, not having bought one for a bit. But they have sunk down to a Christmas Bumper Edition, so I passed. And I had thought of the Economist and the Financial Times as holding out as the last bastions of news rather than sleaze, trivia and padding. With the Financial Time being - for the moment anyway - my fall back position should the Guardian continue its decline into trivia.

PS: as it happens, only the other day, I was reading of Primo Levi, in his youth, buying some kind of chestnut pudding snack from a street vendor in his native Piedmont. Not quite the same as walnuts but tendencies in that directions. And from where I further associate to the chestnut factlets at reference 1.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/maigret-meets-marple.html.

Reference 2: The Periodic Table - Primo Levi - 1975. In my case, a rather nice, top-of-the-range Everyman's edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment