Sunday 20 August 2017

Fake 7

One of the gardens at Arundel castle is full of fakery, a lot of it of the sort illustrated here. The designer clearly thought it would be fun to fake up lots of fancy stonework with fancy woodwork - complete with the rustication noticed at reference 1.

The small temple behind is also made of wood, one of several in the garden. With the panels of interiors finished with alternating strips of cork and dried moss, both from elsewhere on the estate.

All a bit silly to my mind, and it made me wonder whether the Duke was friends with Prince Charles whom, I believe, has a lot of silliness of the same sort in his garden at Highgrove. See reference 2 - where it describes this garden, which you can pay to visit by the coach-load, as the Prince's private garden. An abuse of language to my mind, but one which I dare say few commercial advertisers would baulk at. From where I associate to the Prince's astute commercial exploitation of his brand 'Duchy Originals' or some such. You venture to make and sell the cheese (or whatever), at your own expense and risk, and pay him up-front to use the name. And lots do. And a little depressing that here in the 21st century we consumers are still bamboozled by such stuff.

PS: who or whom in the foregoing? Whom sounds better, but I am not sure about it at all. I shall try and dredge up the relevant rule of grammar during the day to come.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/fake-4.html.

Reference 2: https://www.highgrovegardens.com/.

Group search key: fka.

No comments:

Post a Comment