Saturday 10 June 2017

Trial by paint job

The redec. of the kitchen, first noticed at reference 1, continues with the back door, with Farrow & Ball book room red selected, in the absence of any choice from our regular paint suppliers.

In my innocence, I thought that just rubbing the door down a bit and going straight to gloss would be the way forward.

As it turned out, modern, interior gloss paint is quite different from the old style gloss I am used to. Water based rather than oil based, slides around all over the place, has a tendency to run and does not quickly cover what was underneath. But it does seem to go a long way, it does dry nice and shiny, it is easy to clean the brush afterwards and it doesn't stink the house out.

Three coats so far and should really have another. I wonder whether the undercoat recommended in very small print on the tin would have speeded things up, from the yellow start?

Next job, search out some replacement screws for the various fitting in my forty pound treasure trove of screws, all shapes and sizes. Finding suitable screws is usually easy, finding matching sets of four another matter. I shall go the whole hog and tip them out on the kitchen table.

PS: note the retired cat flap at the bottom of the door, invisible mending being beyond my modest skills. I am reminded that at the time we bought the house, it was thought all the thing to cover both sides of interior doors, which were on the same lines as this exterior door, up with sheets of hardboard, nicely cut, as I recall, to about half an inch less than their size - which I suppose meant that there was no snagging of exposed edges. All now removed, in conformance with current wisdom in such matters,

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/diy.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment