Wednesday 24 May 2017

Outing for the compass

Back in October 2014 I noticed the purchase of a new compass at reference 1. A new compass which does not get much use, mainly because we do not do much rough country walking these days. Nevertheless, despite telephones, there is the odd occasion when a compass would be useful, sometimes even in big towns when one gets confused for one reason or another. I remember a recent occasion near St. Paul's when we ended up walking east, when I had thought we were walking west.

And on the 18th May I remembered to take it with us for a stroll on Holne Moor. And it was actually used, inter alia, to ascertain the direction of what appeared to be the sea. As I recall, roughly east.

It was also an occasion to remind myself how to do a selfie by finding the reverse button on the telephone. Need more practice on the focus side of things, seemingly not as automatic as when one is going forwards.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-quest-for-new-compass.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment