Tuesday 24 January 2017

OneDrive

A few days ago, OneDrive stopped uploading pictures taken on my telephone to my 'Camera Roll' folder on OneDrive - a convenience I have got used to. No more need to plug the camera into the PC and do the upload by hand. The upload can sometimes take a while, but it always gets there.

Until a week ago when it didn't. Today, I decided that I had waited long enough and that something had to be done. First stop, google, who connects me to some elaborate Microsoft advice about all the things one can do to sort out synchronisation problems on OneDrive. Life too short for that one. Second stop, the usually helpful people at BT. Oh no sir, that is almost certainly a telephone problem and we can't help you with that. The 'T' in our name is a complete misnomer. We only do your proper computers, devices that we can see over the wire and take charge of. Third stop, the O2 shop in Epsom, where, after a short wait, one of the people there had a poke around, doing various stuff which I did not know about, finally pronouncing that a photograph he had just taken had indeed been uploaded by OneDrive. At which point, thinking I had had my fair share of his free time, I thanked him and left.

Once home, I took a number of pictures of the triffid in waiting, one of which is included above. Triffid in waiting in case the one featured at reference 1 - and rather a lot of other posts - keels over after flowering. Some plants do. As this one may, under the combined attentions of the radiator below and the light above - the light above being necessary for me to be able to make out the keyboard. Overhead light behind me no good at all. With thanks to a bric-a-brac stall in Bridport Market, run by an older long-hair, for the carving at the right.

It may be that OneDrive will now behave itself for a bit. But a painful reminder of how much time & energy sorting out these kinds of problems can soak up. A pang of nostalgia for the days when I lived in the warm glow of a corporate IT operation where all software changes to one's PC were controlled and where help was always available. None of this Microsoft updating their stuff whenever they see fit, which is where I am now. Cheap and convenient, but not 100% reliable; they have an awful lot of balls to keep in the air these days and they don't always get their updates 100% right.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/growth.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment