Sunday 6 November 2016

Power play

More Power play this week, rather better, to my mind, than last week, noticed at reference 1.

A friendly guard held the door, so I just caught the early train, which meant I could do my shopping before and take bacon after. So pulled a Bullingdon from the pole position at the top of the ramp and pedaled off to the Hop Exchange without incident.

Poacher from the Neal's Yard people, and apples from the Chegworth Valley people (at reference 2). Four large apples, I think Chegworth Beauty again, a crisp sharp apple on day one, very good, but faded a bit by the time I had the last one today. Maybe they couldn't stand the heat indoors, now we have the heating on for part of the day.

Second leg, Hop Exchange to Finsbury Leisure Centre, which I managed without losing my way, and arrived in time for a spot of Chilean White. The two Brahms Trios which followed were much better than the stuff we had the week previous, although, as someone remarked afterwards. it was a bit like rich fruit cake - of which one does not need too much at one sitting. And I think they would have been even better for a spot of preparation beforehand.

An eight microphone job, Four up a pole, two down for the piano and one each for viola/violin and cello.

The cellist has another life as the new cellist with the Emerson Quartet, a capacity in which we have seen him at least once. However, the Emerson web site suggests that the quartet may be close to retiring, with no activity for the last six months; the end of an era.

Market café quiet for my bacon sandwich, but it was as good as I have come to expect. I ate while the waitress filled up the table bottles of red and brown sauce from much larger bottles which did not seem to say anything about Heinz on them. Perhaps they don't bother with that for trade supply.

Third leg from Roscoe Street and I almost made it back to the Hop Exchange without a violation, but I was reduced to an improper left turn back into Moorgate from Lothbury, after the roadworks. I find that I am getting to know the main roads in the City, which helps.

Closed the proceedings with a visit to the other library at Tooting, where I made two withdrawals, of which more in due course.

Just one aeroplane from the bus to Earlsfield and one from the platform. I should have done better at 1745, but I did not think that the old Lumia would be up for checking the radar site which shows them all.

PS: as I type, I am about to miss the showing of a heritage film about Napoleon at the RFH. With full-on music from the Philharmonia, but with a 10 hour running time, too much for me. I think the killer blow was a 100 minute break in the middle. Half hour break for a quick something is one thing, but getting on for two hours is quite another. Years ago, and years ago younger, I managed a similar marathon on War & Peace, but in that case I think there were three short breaks and a pub just across the road: that worked quite well. It was also cheap - a tenner or so - and just down the road in the Epsom Playhouse.

Reference 1: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/viola-times.html.

Reference 2: http://www.chegworthvalley.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment