Thursday 15 September 2016

Sainsbury's do it again

The line in this household is that, for some reason, Tesco's do better on fresh food - fruit, veg. and meat - than Sainsbury's. And Sainsbury's do not seem to be able to manage peaches at all, rather better at nectarines. Maybe Sainsbury's can't shake off their heritage as dry goods grocers.

However, that said, I had occasion three years ago to compliment them on their apples. See reference 1. I even went so far as to send them an email to ask how they managed it, an email which elicited a prompt reply, a reply which did not give too much away but which did let on that their out of season Coxes often came from South Africa and yes, some kind of climate control was in operation. Are they air freighted?

Then this week they manage to repeat the trick with a different sort of apple, illustrated. We don't know what sort of apple is it, but it was very good, still very good for breakfast this morning, nearly a week after they were bought. With the weather being rather hot for the safe keeping of apples - and with there being no climate control in our house to speak of.

I am fairly sure that it was not part of my father's extensive repertoire of apples, so I suppose it is one of the many new varieties which have come to market since his time. It might well be English given that Discovery, an early apple, arrived back in mid August. See reference 2.

PS: I remember the invention of Discovery, just a few years before my father died, with my sampling one in 1971, at which time it reminded me of Ellison's Orange, with its hint of aniseed, an apple which I had once been fond of. The sampling was, as it happens, here in Epsom, years and years before we came to live.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/a-tale-of-two-apples.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/potatoes.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment