Tuesday 28 June 2016

Fraxinus excelsior

Having named the unusual ash noticed at reference 1 last summer, I accidentally tidied it up in the course of the autumn, failing to remember that it was special without its special leaves.

But I have been keeping an eye out for rebirth and I am pleased to be able to report today that it has been reborn and is now about a foot high - compared with the two to three feet it was this time last year. Now staked, which will, hopefully, stop me from tidying it up again.

In the course of checking I learn that the common ash, of which we have quite a lot of seedlings in the wild back of the garden, is native to south western asia, making it to about up half way up Norway, although now doing well in New Zealand. Struggling in North America. It is late to come into leaf and early to shed, so I guess that it does not care for the cold, despite its being deciduous.

I wonder what eco-correct action is indicated by the arrival in this country of ash dieback from Poland? They know all about it at reference 2, but the only suggestion seems to be to tell the Forestry Commission if you come across it - which seems a little heavy handed. Would the chain-saw volunteers know? Is Fraxinus excelsior f. diversifolia resistant to this particular disease? I shall, at least, now go on an inspection of the ash in the garden.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/not-exotic.html.

Reference 2: http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment